Nothing says the start of summer like the first grilled burgers of the year – but nobody ever said they had to be beef. In fact the burgers I crave most often are these delicious, Asian inspired, cilantro and lime salmon burgers, topped with a zesty greek yogurt sauce. They’re light, refreshing and nearly impossible to mess up – perfect for grill masters and novices alike.
Typically this is where I might write some additional pithy prose, but I’m at a loss for words right now and so instead will let the food do the talking. All I will say is this; do yourself a favor and give this recipe a try – you won’t regret it.
Now you can’t tell me that doesn’t look delicious – with a burger mix like that, it would be impossible to not taste great!
When you assemble the burgers make a small indent with your thumb on one side of the burger, this will help it cook evenly throughout.
- 1 lb salmon, skin removed
- 1 tbs greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (I tend to go heavy on Cilantro because I love it - feel free to adjust accordingly)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Zes of 1 lime
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (again I go heavy here – this time because I love garlic)
- 1 jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed, minced
- 1 tbs fresh grated ginger
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Favorite hot sauce
- 4 rolls of your choice (hamburger buns will work great)
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tbs lime juice (feel free to amp this up if you're not getting the punch you want when tasting)
- 3 tbs chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Favorite hot sauce
- Turn the grill to medium-high heat and cover in order to let it get up to temperature.
- Deskin the salmon if it's not already and then chop into small chunks and transfer to a food processor. Or if you're like me and don't own one, proceed to mince with your knife until salmon is finely ground.
- Mix in the greek yogurt, cilantro, lime juice, lime zest, bread crumbs, garlic, jalapeno, green onion, salt and pepper and hot sauce. Be sure to combine well.
- From the mixture form 4 equal-sized patties, each about 3/4-inch thick, making sure to create an indent in the center with your thumb on one side. Cover and chill in the fridge for 15 minutes or until ready to use.
- While waiting, whisk together all the ingredients for the cilantro and lime sauce – making sure to taste and adjust seasoning accordingly. Cover and put in fridge until ready to use.
- Spray grill or fold a paper towel and soak in vegetable oil and then use tongs to apply to grill grates.
- Carefully place patties on the grill and flip after 4-7 minutes (will vary depending on how powerful your grill is). Once flipped cook another ~5 minutes.
- Serve on a freshly grilled roll of your choice with avocado and a handful of lettuce leaves.