It must just be about summer because we’ve got back-to-back grill recipes. I promise to mix things up with the next post, but I couldn’t resist sharing this recipe for deliciously grilled lemon and mint lamb chops. They’re herbacious, flavorful and oooo so delicious!
I got this recipe from Best of the Best Cookbook Recipes and they got it from Italian Grill by Mario Batali. He calls them Grilled Lamb Chops Scottadita, which loosely translates to “burn your fingers” as in these chops are so irresistible you can’t wait to start eating them – I couldn’t agree more!
Even before being grilled these suckers look amazing – like a delicious little meat popsicle!
Try your hardest to be patient and let the meat rest for at least 5 minutes before eating, it will make it that much better!
- Grated zest of 3 lemons
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped mint (plus extra for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 24 lamb rib chops (about 3 and 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup goat's-milk yogurt
- 1 tablespoon toasted and freshly ground cumin seeds
- Combine the yogurt and cumin in a small bowl and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and place in fridge until ready to serve.
- Turn the grill to medium-high heat and cover in order to let it get up to temperature.
- Combine 2/3 of the lemon zest (reserve rest for garnish), the chopped mint, sugar, and 1 tablespoon each salt and pepper in a food processor or by hand until the mixture has a coarse sand like texture.
- Rub each chop well on both sides with the mint mixture. Place on baking sheet and set aside at room temperature.
- Spray grill or fold a paper towel and soak in vegetable oil and then use tongs to apply to grill grates.
- Grill the chops, turning once, until medium-rare (~145 degrees), about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Pile on serving platter and garnish with reserved lemon zest, mint and the yogurt sauce.